Friday night, I was asked to speak before a group of possible recruits to JCI. It is one of those orientation talks that regular members invite their prospects in order to fully convince them about the organization, and get them to sign up.. but more importantly... participate and be active in JCI.
During the talk, I had asked each participant to share what it was about themselves they would like to change for the better, what it was in their community they would like to improve, and well same line of question in business and internationalism.
There were a lot interesting ideas and exchanges, but there was one point raised by this lady who had worked as a .. was it supervisor or manager, I forget. But the thing is, she had over 400 people to handle in her department... and she was very specific at what she wanted... she wanted to know how to change employees attitudes, especially in the work setting... What it meant really was, how she could help her subordinates develop the right outlook, have the right attitude.. and I guess .. if I may assume .. how that sort of perspective leads to productivity and organizational efficiency.
She had found it, and I am not sure if she realizes that yet since she is still new in the organization. But that exactly what we do in JCI. What.. you may ask. Well, I'll leave that to you to read about, that's a different blog for me to write.
Anyways, I knew.. this could be what she was looking for.
Where else can you develop the sort of leadership, the sort of positive influence you can use; but in an organization that keeps there members busy with projects and activities and who don't get a single cent for their time and efforts.
The best way to develop this is in a voluntary organization. When you lead a group of volunteers, when you lead people who you don't pay a salary to, when you give instructions to those who are themselves managers - bosses - owners of their own companies; you develop that citical element in a leader, which is the ability to motivate people, in other ways more than just pay.
Master that, take into the work setting - and you'll see how easy it is.
Now why did I get into this in the first place.
In the past month, I have been a witness to two organizational crises. One JCI related. The other at work. The JCI related crisis is similar to one I was also witness to in the first few months acting as Executive Vice President for JCI in the country.
What made it so amusing was my pondering on, how similar organizations' problems are, how interesting the dynamics & actions of the people in it.. and how it was easier for me to handle today, how ready the advise i had to to give.. because lucky me, I had been through similar cases before.
People blame it on politics, but actually it isnt politics but the practice of bad politics. Where there are people that are part of organizations, be it the the family or a group of friends... or bigger ones such as a company ... the corporate world ... or organizations.. there shall always be politics .. for this is the practice of relationships between people and therefore bad politics is simply poor relations and good relationships.. good politics.
Politics isn't merely people elected into public office, nor is it negative as it is often used to imply dealing with people in an opportunistic, manipulative way.
Politics is people & people affairs. |
0 comments:
Post a Comment